Overall Grade: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 1/2
“We don’t know how to love with reservations.”
After reading the first chapter of Return to Us at the end of Corinne Michaels’s Stay for Me, I had been waiting impatiently for this second chance romance between Jessica, the flight attendant from Jacob Arrowood’s story, and her lost love, Grayson. Return to Us is the type of story that you love from Michaels because she writes these emotionally driven stories about fated couples. And Jessica and Grayson’s is no different. So what are the reasons you should grab Return to Us quick?
- The Corinne Michaels’s world is represented in Return to Us. Besides Jessica the flight attendant, there are mentions of characters from Michaels’s other books, and I know how excited I became as I realized their place in her world.
- The chemistry between Grayson and Jessica is sinful. While this book isn’t bedroom scene heavy, it’s clear that Grayson and Jessica must end up together. There is steam in this book but that is only tangential to the overall story.
- The second chance part makes for a compelling, if not frustrating, part of this book. Grayson and Jessica were high school sweethearts, intending on a future together, but life pulled them apart (well, namely, Jessica). Michaels is careful in her curation of their journey, and for me, it feels right in how it develops. That frustration that Michaels builds means she’s doing it right, allowing these two to work through their past so that they can have a future.
- Grayson is the single dad hero that you didn’t know you needed. His main character flaw is his need for control. However, his compassion and love for his daughter and his need and love for Jessica make you fall in love with his character. He is protective, emotionally strong, and he fights for the people he loves.
- Jessica’s evolution is the greatest one, and I love how Michaels works through her TBI in this story. She doesn’t instantly fix Jessica. Instead, she painstakingly shows her reader the difficulties of life after trauma. Additionally, Jessica must learn that dreams can change, and it’s through her journey that we come to that truth for this story: that what we dreamed when we were younger can always change and become a new dream.
Return to Us is a sweeping emotional story about two people intended for each other. While life interrupts them for a while, Corinne Michaels shows us that love can heal and bind two people lost to each other. If you love small-town, single dad, second chance romance, then you should be reading Return to Us, the first book of Michaels’s newest series, Willow Creek Valley.
In love and romance,