Overall Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 1/2
The queen of all that is Damien Stark has done it again with her newest book, Broken with You. Since unveiling her Stark Security Series a couple of months ago, she has piqued the curiosity of her most dedicated readers about these men and women, working so hard for the king of business, Damien Stark. After reading Quince’s story in Shattered with You, and being introduced to Denise (Denny), I knew I was “all in” for her story in this book. She did not disappoint.
The story begins after the prequel story, Shadows of You. We know from Shattered… and Shadows… that Denny’s husband, Mason, has been working under deep cover to infiltrate a dangerous organization. We know that he has been gone for close to three years, much to the dislike and loneliness of Denny. After the event of the prequel, we know how deeply Denny loves Mason and how much she misses him. Her life has been placed on hold in his absence.
One day, she receives a call that he has returned. Unfortunately, he has no memory of her, and it breaks her. Mason/Jack’s sub-conscious is protecting important information due to trauma endured during his undercover mission. However, his soul seems to know Denny, as he dreams of “golden-blond hair” and “green eyes.” When he meets her again, he sees those traits focused back at him. As a way to protect him and put him back to work, the government organization who placed him undercover originally places him with Damien Stark’s Security group, and he is paired with Denny. Although her heart aches for him, she cannot tell him about their connection, even though it pains her greatly. Even more, she has a secret that she cannot divulge for fear of Mason breaking his mind. Will they ever be able to reconcile and find their perfect ending?
Everything you love about a J. Kenner Damien Stark novel exists in Broken with You.
- A stalwart, sexy hero. Mason/Jack is everything you love in an action romantic hero. He’s handsome, strong, kind, and carries just a bit (or a lot) of danger. His struggle in this book creates the drama for him and Denny, and it is painful to watch him grapple through his pain. He has endured an intense trauma for the sake of Denny, and his chivalry makes him even more appealing.
- A strong, smart, sexy heroine. To be honest, Denny is a saint. She has waited for Mason. For almost three years, she has relinquished most communication with him, and rarely did she give up on him. I am not sure that I could have been patient. She is an amazing character in her ability to rationalize and compartmentalize her loss of him. It is quite impressive. Even more, even though her heart breaks, she makes sacrifices to protect Mason/Jack from others and himself. She holds back his identity, even though it would make her life easier. She is truly self-sacrificing. This is a female character that other female characters should strive to be.
- Some “on-the-edge-of-your-seat” action/drama. This wouldn’t be a Stark novel if it didn’t leave you biting your fingernails in anticipation of everyone making it out alive. This is definitely a hallmark of the Stark Security series. If you like romantic suspense/action, then you’ll love this series, namely this book. Given Mason’s amnesia, you’re left blind through most of the story, and the twist lies in the revelation of the organization that has kept Mason undercover. There are other very intense moments in this book, but I won’t give them away because this is a spoiler-free review. Instead, I can only tell you that the story is driven forward by the various turns of the story, and I couldn’t put the book down, if only to find out if Mason regains his memory.
- The inclusion of other Stark characters. I think this is one of the hallmarks of J. Kenner’s Stark stories that I love the most. You can always count on Damien and Ryan entering a story, and this is the case with this story. However, Quince and Liam are significant characters too. When you read a Stark book, you stay entrenched in this world, and it brings a level of comfort to the reader. You don’t have to yet say goodbye to characters that you have grown to love, and it’s the reason I will go back to J. Kenner time and time again.
- Intense chemistry between the H and h. This is a requirement for a Stark book, and it is clearly in place in this book. Mason and Denny’s chemistry flies off the page and makes you all kinds of warm. It’s this chemistry that binds them together when Mason’s memory threatens to pull them apart.
As I stated previously, Broken With You is my current favorite Stark Series book. As there have only been two, that isn’t hard to accept. However, there is just something special about Denny and Mason. I am hoping we will see them in Liam’s story (which I believe is the next book in this series). Broken with You is a fast-paced, sexy, action-packed romantic story. If that’s your “thing,” then you will love this book.
In love and romance,